When registering for facial recognition, sometimes people will get a black screen which prevents them from taking a selfie - this is how to fix it.
When using the the Registration link feature for an event, some users have found that they reach the stage where they are asked to take a selfie, but the camera on their device doesn't work/doesn't allow them to take a selfie in the web browser.
This can happen on both iOS and Android devices and usually the result is a black screen like this:
In some browsers there will be a camera symbol in the address bar of the browser. In this case you should be able to tap that camera symbol to toggle the camera on or off like so:
Otherwise, the problem will be that either the browser or the operating system is blocking the camera from working. We can fix this by allowing permissions.
Android / Chrome
- On your Android device, open the Chrome app .
- To the right of the address bar, tap More (triple dots) > Settings.
- Tap Site Settings (under advanced).
- Tap Camera.
- Tap to turn the camera on (or at least "ask first").
- Make sure that https://mypics.io is not listed under the Blocked list (if there is one). If you see it BLOCKED, tap mypics.io > Access your camera > Allow.
iOS / Safari
- Open the Settings app
- Tap on Safari > Camera
- Scroll down to Camera & Microphone
- Confirm that "Ask" or "Allow" is checked
- Open the registration link again, in a new tab. If you selected "ask", you should get a prompt to allow the camera when you get to that stage. Make sure to select "allow".